Saturday, January 26, 2008

Whitewater and the PCT

Although I've got a fun hike planned for tomorrow, I really was antsy today to get my blood flowing. And since Mark is now in Utah, this would require leaving the house. I called up a few Dog Park buddies and we headed out to Whitewater.

I am so very impressed with the beautiful restoration that is going on there. What used to be an old trout farm is now being turned into a Visitor facility, campground, and picnic area. They aren't officially open, however we were welcomed by very friendly folks from the Wildlands Conservancy.
It's just a great thing that they're doing up there. I had visited that area about a year ago and it looked like a dump. The fish farm had been closed for who knows how long and there were dilapidated homes and junk everywhere. It was definitely a breath of fresh air. I can't wait to check it out again when they're officially open.

The best part? We were only 1/2 mile away from the Pacific Crest Trail, a trail that runs from Canada to Mexico. So with our sights on Mexico, we headed up up and up. I think we traveled all of 3 miles or so, but the elevation gain was killing me! It was a short and sweet hike that only took us 2 hours.
Burnt remains and new life

Diego in his proudest moment.

Cow Tracks! There were cowpies everywhere.

Me and my Robert

Water Break

Whitewater River

Diego leading the way

The view driving home
Snowy Mt. San Jacinto


What will tomorrow bring?

No comments: