Thursday, August 9, 2007

My First...

Sleepy eyed and rushed, I began my journey - once again, time was against me. There were no obstacles ahead of me, and I used this to my advantage; I hastened my pace in order to compensate for my lack of time. My stomach reminded me that I should have taken care of my hunger before departing, and my mind was adrift with thoughts of pancakes and eggs and bacon.

I became his target. The hunted.
Blue and Red Lights. He was agile and the chase was over almost before it started.
I alerted him of my surrender and pulled over.

THOSE MOTORCYCLE COPS COME OUT OF NOWHERE!

Today, I started my day with my first speeding ticket.

I'm not upset about it. I'm actually a bit amused.

The reason I got my ticket was not because I was speeding; it was because I was speeding and not paying attention. My reasoning is as follows:
  • I always speed.
  • I always am on the lookout for police when I do so.
  • I manage to spot them quickly and adjust and/or there is some schmuck near me going faster and they get pulled over instead.
  • I tend to think I am pretty darn lucky 90% of the time.

So he was brief about it, I acknowledged that I was speeding... it was a very pleasant exchange. He was totally nice... except for the whole "I'm still giving you a ticket" thing. And as I sat there and waited for my citation... I was laughing at myself. Maybe it's because it was so minor, because I have bigger fish to fry in my life right now... I don't know. He handed me my ticket and I actually said, "thank you!" in the most sincere and pleasant manner.

Who does that???? Who on earth thanks a cop for writing them a ticket??????


The whole thing was a bit reassuring... if he managed to get me, someone who is a considerate yet hurried driver... then the probability of him catching one of those maniac jackasses who cut people off and go waaaay too fast is pretty good, right? I hope my logic is correct.
So for now, I've slowed down a bit... and I'm watching out for the 5-0.

The best part?? My boss arrived at work 5 minutes after I did. Had I taken my time, I still would have arrived before her, albeit late.