Friday, January 12, 2007

Friday! Hooray!

Every once in a while, an incredible force takes over my body and I can't control my actions.

This only happens when I go to Carniceria Rancho Grande to buy groceries.

Walking through the doors into this store, where minimal English is spoken, takes me back to my Mexico. The people are friendly, humble, and polite. Somewhere between picking up cheap vegetables and ordering 2 lbs of meat for my delicious carne asada, I become 1000% mexican. I dance through the aisles to the cumbia music that flows though the store, I wiggle my hips while weighing my avocados... I order my beloved goodies from behind the meat counter without my little american accent; and I can't hold still as they are packing up my favorite cheese. I'm a total mexican now. I've become Rosario.

There's a spring in my step as I make my way back to my truck, ingredients in hand. I'm one hungry Mexican on a mission to make the most delicious meal ever.

I get home and greet the dogs in Spanish. They aren't bilingual so they're a bit confused, but not for long. The smell of carne asada is a universal language. I've got the Mexican radio station blasting. Yes, the Mexican oompah music. ACCORDIANS and all. I'm beyond the point of no return... I don't even speak English at this point.

The meat is a sizzlin', the music is a bumpin', and I'm dancing, fork in hand... looking like the quintessential drunken aunt that appears at every Mexican wedding. The dogs have retreated to the living room, north of the kitchen, back into American territory... but I remain here, determined to satisfy the hungry Mexican within me.

I toss the tortillas onto the fire like a pro, flip them without the usual accompanying 3rd degree burns, and pop them on a plate. And they wait, naked, until my delicious carne asade joins them. I add some peruvian beans - the lighter, more delicate sibling of those overused pinto beans. Normally the trio is completed with the addition of these beans... but not tonight. Tonight is different.

I've got ceviche tostadas.

I look at my creation with a faint "Ay dios mio, que lindo" and settle down with a glass of lime-aid. I close my eyes and forget where I am... and with every bite, I come back down to my original state. My thoughts are in English again, the music is now slightly annoying, but the food - the food remains just as delicious.

If you ever accompany me to Carniceria Rancho Grande, do not question what is happening to me. Embrace it... your stomach will thank you. And perhaps you'll take with you a little bit of my querido Mexico.

2 comments:

DW (yes it's really me) said...

Cheat as you may, I still want to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes for the experience, but mostly (well not mostly) for the yummy food! Come girl, lets live it up!

Holly said...

LOL! I can just see you, all Mexican Ghetto crazy. hahaha

I wanna go, too. Ok, that's a lie, I just want the food. ;)