Sunday, October 28, 2007

Ferret Scare

Right before heading out to go grocery shopping, I went into the ferret room to say hi to the kids and feed them some dinner. After serving up a nice cup of kibble, I proceeded to nudge each ferret to let them know that their food was awaiting them.

Mischief wasn't very responsive at all. She looked almost dead.
I noticed she had caught one of her nails on her blanket and wasn't able to get up... and she was way dehydrated. She was so limp and dazed... I knew she'd die soon if I didn't do something. So I tried to feed her some calorie supplement and water with a syringe, but she was too weak to take it. I wrapped her up in one of my shirts and headed to work. On a Sunday afternoon, it was the only place that I could take her.

After a large amount of subcutaneous fluids (which she quickly absorbed like a little sponge), and a little bit of time, she was back to herself. Had I not taken her to the hospital, she would have died.

It's just amazing how fragile life can be if you aren't careful.

No comments: