Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Garage Door

So... a little bit of a lighter (well, sort of) post...

See that garage door from the last post? It's one of those old school wood on metal frame doors, making it really really heavy and awkward. When we replaced it with one of those modern aluminum paneled ones in 2000, Dad kept the old door and used it to partition the garage as to prevent dust from entering the house.
So of course, this was an obstacle in the garage cleaning process. What the hell do I do with this thing? Yesterday, my ex boyfriend from high school, Al, drove out to help with the garage. He's just that nice of a guy, and because he worked in there with my dad, he was familiar with what tools needed to be set aside for the move. And he's also more braun than brains, but I say that endearingly, especially since this happened:


We weren't sure how the garage door was fastened... was it nailed to the floor? We could only see one nail that was holding it to the back wall of the garage. Surely there was more reinforcement, right? I was in the kitchen when I heard, "OH SHIT!" ::GIANT CRASH::
Al had decided to take out what we later discovered was the ONLY nail holding this thing and gravity took over. It could have been disastrous, but instead it turned out to be something funny that my father would've appreciated.
We managed to drag this monstrosity out of the garage using very primitive means; small sections of metal pipe placed underneath in order to roll it out of there Egyptian style.


So on a late night whim, I put it on craigslist... and long story short, some nice lady arranged to pick it up. She was in her late 50's, and brought along 2 ornery old men, one of which made a great first impression by exclaiming: "This is the most worthless thing I've ever seen!" to which she enthusiastically would reply, "No it's great! It's a great garage door!" ...this went on for a good 20 minutes. They had shown up in a small truck, so I figured they were just going to look at it.
She finally got her way, and they decided to take it... on the truck they brought. I seriously thought they were kidding. So between all of us (and some amused neighbors) we put this giant door on top of the truck. Unbelievable. They were from Desert Hot Springs... anyone that knows this area can appreciate that added detail.



So that's the garage door story.

I've been pretty stressed out of my gourd today, but a lot was accomplished. I was driving to pick up the moving truck today while talking to Mark on the phone, when about halfway there he mentioned, "So.. who's taking you to pick up the truck?" to which I replied, "No one! I'm just going to go get it--- fuck." I pulled over, had a little hissy/stress fit, turned around, and found myself a ride. Who does that? Of course I need a ride to pick up another vehicle!

To give myself a break, I took Renelle to her favorite little Sushi place. We didn't really order any sushi -- she's a miso soup and cucumber salad addict, which is quite pleasant on my pocketbook. She was looking at her placemat with all the different types of sushi on it, and wondered out loud what the Salmon Roe was like. Big Mistake. I asked the waiter if he could bring her a little so she could try it. She thought it was awful. For once, I agreed with her on that one.




I'm still packing a few small things, but otherwise, the truck is loaded. I'm pretty sure saying goodbye to the house tomorrow will be easy if I get everything that I wanted to do done.
Back to work. :)

No comments: